Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1! Happy New Year!!!



So today is January 1st.  The first day of 2013, and what a year this will be.  I can just feel it!  2012 had some momentous moments for me, like going to field school and finally graduating from college, and running my very first 5K!  Still haven’t found a job yet, but I know it’s coming.  Until I find it, I’m using my extra time at home wisely.  Aside from the running pants that I asked for this Christmas, I got something else that was even better.  I got 3 coupons from my mom, each good for one shopping spree as I meet certain weight loss goals.  One after 20lbs, another after the 2nd 20lbs, and the 3rd for when I lose the remaining weight.  To go along with this, I got the Zumba Exhilarate set!  I’ve never gone to a class before, even though they were offered at my University Rec Center.  I’m a little self-conscience about stuff like that.  I weighed this morning and sealed the number in an envelope.



Today, my Mom and I started the 100 Day Challenge.  It is a commitment to do at least 30 minutes of continuous activity every day for the next 30 days.  My daughter gets drawn into it too, but she loves dancing and running.  One of her huge accomplishments for 2012 came after her last dance class of the semester.  The very next day I got a message from the owner of the dance school saying that her teachers think she is ready to move up to the next level of classes.  So she is being evaluated next week when classes start back.  I am so proud of my little one, I had to brag about her just a little.  She also ran her first 5K this year with me!  She’s only 5 and she was so excited because she beat a 6 year old boy!  LOL!



Okay, so back to the other stuff.  Today, I did the Zumba Step-by-Step video.  It was 55 minutes of working muscles that running cannot even begin to touch!  I felt great afterwards and I’ll be doing it again tomorrow.  I can’t do all of the moves yet, but I will get there.  I’ll still do my running, the race was too much fun not to, but I will be enjoying the Zumba and I can do some Wii Fit Yoga once or twice a week to keep it from getting monotonous. 



I know that exercise alone isn’t going to cut it, I have to change my eating habits too.  I don’t eat bad and we rarely eat out, but pasta is my weakness and I’m a pretty picky eater.  So I have spent the last couple of days looking for recipes that are lower in calories, but still appeal to my picky tastes.  It helps that I have been dying to find new things to cook because meals have become very boring at home.  Its gotten to the point that I am cooking the same things over and over again.  I did create something new last night though, and it was so delicious and simple!  Cook some ground turkey, seasoned to taste, then add a can of Rotel, drained.  Mix and continue cooking until the tomatoes are heated through.  I put some in a pita with some baby spinach and sautéed mushrooms (sautéed in a teaspoon of olive oil with a pinch of sea salt).  It was sooooo good!  I thought it would just be another boring meal, but it was all I could think of on short notice.  I couldn’t have been more wrong.  Very flavorful and healthy.  Looking forward to trying more delicious new meals and getting down these Zumba steps.  I’m already feeling it in my abs and obliques.  Some steps are easier than others, I don’t have many issues with the Salsa, Cumbia, or Belly Dance steps, but the others are a little more challenging.  But I have to say, Challenge Accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment